27 February 2010

Re-Cap of Glastonbury Part One

As I promised myself a while ago, I will at least partially document my recent trip to Glastonbury and put across a very small description of the places we visited. For the most I hope the people that read this really do go and take the time to visit this place. For my descriptions will really not do the atmosphere of Glastonbury the justice it truly deserves.

Over the last few weeks we have attempted to visit Glastonbury and originally we planned a weekend. However we found that as regular as clock work, the Wednesday before we were due to go it snowed....Now for this to happen once, fair enough! Weather does sometimes cause havoc especially in the UK and we had to put our trip back. Thanks to a very understanding host they even accommodated us changing our reservation dates at the last minute.

We attempted to go three times and on every occasion the snow fell on the Wednesday, with the first two times stopping us from going. The third time it happened we were so determined to go we did not let it stop us!
Below you can see how much we had, this was taken outside my office.

As you can see it was enough to be a nuisance! Still we put on our brave faces and embarked anyway! Thankfully as soon as we left Kent we also parted company with that aggravating snow!

Inwardly I was very relieved at that point...I knew my lady needed this break and the whole not being able to go was starting to grate on my concious.
After a few hours on the road we decided to stop and have a coffee, I think this was the moment when we both recognised that we were actually going for real this time!


Once we were back on the road and almost 3/4 of the way there I realised we were actually going past stone henge en route to our destination & popped the question to my partner if she had ever been. I was a little surprised to hear that so far she had not had the chance. So I leaped at the opportunity to take her there for a visit.

 For me personally this was my fourth visit to the stones & every time I leave with a strange feeling of disappointment. Something deep down always sings that they were meant for so much more than to just be a tourist attraction.
When you walk around them (as you are not allowed to get up close and personal any more due to restrictions.) you can feel an unusual emptiness around the place that just feels...well alien to what it should be.

I am sure that if this sacred site was treated with the respect the druids of old gave to these stones the energy would soon come flowing back again...But for now I feel it sits in the shadow of its former self beckoning for its true purpose to be rediscovered once again.....

To be continued...

0 comments:

Post a Comment